This breakfast casserole is everything you’d want for breakfast in one dish, or multiple. It’s a thick and creamy egg base with diced potatoes, chunks of turkey sausage and cheddar cheese topped with white pepper gravy. AND it takes no time to make on the weekends, holidays, or for a big crowd first thing in the morning! If you like this, you can check out my other breakfast recipes here!
THE CASSEROLE EXPLAINED:
Diced potatoes packed into a casserole dish, along with a thick and creamy egg base. Turkey sausage and cheddar cheese folded in. Broiled cheese and white pepper gravy on top
can I use different types of potatoes?
yes, this casserole is very versatile. you can use shredded hash browns, diced hash browns, home fries, roasted potatoes, leftover potatoes, literally ANY kind of potatoes! If you have whole potatoes that need to be used, you can rinse, peel, grate about 3-4 large potatoes. Squeeze out the excess moisture with a cheesecloth and toss them into the egg/sausage mixture.
what else can be put in this casserole?
like I mentioned above, this casserole is very versatile so it can be one big breakfast hodge podge. I prefer turkey sausage or Jimmy Dean all-natural sausage. Any breakfast meat can be added , as well as onions or peppers!
can this be made ahead?
yes! assemble according to directions but cover with foil before baking and refrigerate overnight. Bake for about 90 minutes because it will be more cold/solid than it would be if made all at once.
- eggs (amount depends on the size of dish)
- heavy cream or half & half
- cayenne pepper
- onion powder
- frozen hash browns (diced or shredded or see FAQ’s above)
- turkey sausage (or see FAQ’s above)
- cheddar cheese
*link to my amazon storefront to purchase equipment*
- casserole dish (the mini dutch ovens in the pictures are from Target with the Hearth & Hand collection, but the quality is poor. They’re just cute for picture purposes!)
- saute pan
- mixing bowls
HOW TO MAKE THIS BREAKFAST CASSEROLE:
Cook turkey sausage (or other breakfast meat) according to package and if there’s any leftover fat, drain the meat and set the fat aside.
Prepare casserole dish with nonstick spray or butter and preheat oven to 350 F.
Pour hash browns of choice and turkey sausage into prepared dish. In a medium mixing bowl whisk egg, heavy cream or half & half, salt & pepper, cayenne, onion powder and pour on top of hash brown/sausage. Stir in 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese. Bake for 1 hour or until not jiggly and golden brown.
Breakfast Casserole with White Pepper Gravy
- 6 eggs (see notes)
- 1/3 cup heavy cream or half & half
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 16 oz frozen hash browns (half bag) diced or shredded or see FAQ's above
- 1 lb turkey sausage or see FAQ's above
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
White Pepper Gravy
- 4 tbsp butter
- 4 tbsp flour
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- Cook turkey sausage (or other breakfast meat) according to package and if there's any leftover fat, drain the meat and set the fat aside.
- Prepare casserole dish with nonstick spray or butter and preheat oven to 350 F.
- Pour hash browns of choice and turkey sausage into prepared dish. In a medium mixing bowl whisk egg, heavy cream or half & half, salt & pepper, cayenne, onion powder and pour on top of hash brown/sausage. Stir in 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese. Bake for 1 hour or until not jiggly and golden brown.
White Pepper Gravy
- On medium-low heat melt the fat from the breakfast meat (if any) along with the butter. Once all melted, add flour and whisk constantly so there are no clumps. Slowly add milk while whisking and remove from heat. Gravy will begin to thicken but will become more thick when cool. Stir in salt & pepper and top each individual bowl of the breakfast casserole!
- Use 1-2 eggs per person if increasing or decreasing the amount.