If you’ve been seen any of my recipes before, then you’d know that I love using brown butter. Brown butter is butter with toasted milk solids. These Brown Butter Hazelnut Blondies are chewy and buttery. If you like these blondies, go check out my other bars and brownies recipes here!
THE BROWN BUTTER HAZELNUT BLONDIES EXPLAINED:
In addition to the brown butter, these blondies are full of melty chocolate chips. The hazelnuts blend with sugar until fine, which makes these blondies perfectly smooth until you hit the chocolate chips. Lastly, is the crinkle top *chef’s kiss*
are there big pieces of hazelnuts in these blondies?
no! it’s perfect because the hazelnuts are blended with sugar until fine. it evenly distributes the hazelnut flavor to each blondie.
how should these blondies be stored?
these bars in particular, should be stored in a ziploc bag or an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days.
- brown sugar
- granulated sugar
- vanilla extract
- baking soda
- chopped hazelnut
- chocolate chips
- square 8×8 baking pan
- mixing bowls
- parchment paper
- hand mixer
- or stand mixer
- rubber spatula
- binder clips to hold the parchment paper to the pan edges so that the parchment paper edges don’t fall into the batter.
Brown Butter Hazelnut Blondies
- 1 cup butter browned
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs + 1 egg yolk for chewiness, richer flavor
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup chopped hazelnuts
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Pre heat oven to 350°F. In a 8x8, 9x9, or 9x11 baking dish. Spray with non stick and line with parchment paper.
- In a medium saucepan melt one cup of butter on medium heat and let simmer until dark Honey -ish color. It will get foamy and then reduce heat to low. Then stir in brown sugar and remove from heat. Let cool inside fridge for 20-30 minutes so the eggs don’t cook.
- In a blender or food processor, pulse sugar and chopped hazelnuts together until it resembles sand.
- In a separate bowl combine flour, baking powder, and salt. In a different bowl mix butter/brown sugar mixture ( # 1) with granulated sugar - hazelnut mixture. Add eggs + egg yolk and vanilla extract until light and fluffy. Add flour mixture, stir until well combined. Fold in ¾ cup chocolate chips.
- Fill prepared dish with batter and sprinkle the remaining ¼ cup chocolate chips on top.
- Bake for :
- 8x8 = 28-32 minutes or until slightly jiggly inside center
- 9x9 = 24-31 minutes or until slightly jiggly inside center
- 9x11 = 22-27 minutes or until slightly jiggly inside center
- Let cool for 10-15 minutes before enjoying.