These Brown Butter Rice Krispie treats are a rich, buttery, salty, and sweet take on the favorite classic snack ever.
THE BROWN BUTTER RICE KRISPIE TREATS EXPLAINED:
These thick Rice Krispie treats are made with brown butter to give them a salty, nutty flavor and they’re stuffed with mini marshmallows.
HOW TO MAKE THESE BROWN BUTTER RICE KRISPIE TREATS:
brown the butter:
melt the butter:
add the krispies to the melted marshmallows:
form into the pan:
refrigerate the rice krispie treats:
- vanilla bean paste
- rice krispie cereal
- 8×8 pan or 9×9 pan
- 6qt pot
How do I store these rice krispie treats?
Once they have been in the refrigerator for at least an hour, take them out and cut them into bars, put the bars into a ziploc bag, and keep them in the refrigerator for up to a week.
Can this recipe be gluten-free/vegan or can any of the ingredients be substituted for other dietary restrictions?
Unfortunately, it is not my specialty. However, there are many bloggers who specialize in gluten-free, vegan, nut-free, dairy-free, etc. desserts and I recommend giving them a try!
Brown Butter Rice Krispie Treats
- 6 tbsp salted butter , browned
- 15 oz mini marshmallows 1 1/2 bags, separated
- 1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 6 cups Rice Krispies
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- On low-medium heat, in a medium-large pot, melt butter and stir occasionally until browned.
- Remove from heat once the butter has reached an amber/honey color, add 1-10oz bag of marshmallows and stir until marshmallows are melted completely.
- Once all combined, add vanilla bean paste and mix in the rice krispies until mostly coated with marshmallow mix. Pour the remaining half bag of marshmallows in and stir gently until combined.
- Using probably a tablespoon of butter or so, grease a 8x8 or 9x9 baking pan. Start pouring the mixture into the pan and butter your hands then GENTLY press the mixture into pan with fingertips (don’t pack the Rice Krispie treats into the dish, they will come out too dense and hard.) Top with sea salt if you’d like.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour before enjoying!