A chocolate lovers favorite breakfast! Breakfast is after all, the most important meal of the day, might as well start it off with lots and lots of chocolatey goodness! These Chocolate Crumb Muffins are full of chocolate chips and topped with buttery, cocoa crumbs. Do I need to persuade you any further? If you like these, check out my Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Muffins!
These muffins are great because they can be eaten for breakfast or dessert. These muffins are light and airy, not overly sweet, but full of cocoa chocolate flavor. If you’re looking for something more rich and fudgy, head over to my favorite Chocolate Cupcake recipe.
THE CHOCOLATE CRUMB EXPLAINED:
Moist, fluffy double chocolate muffins with buttery, cocoa crumbles on top.
what’s the secret to a moist muffin?
there are multiple factors that go into creating a moist muffin. those factors include: sour cream, oil, not over-mixing them, and not over-baking them. since chocolate is a drying ingredient, the oil and the sour cream help by adding moisture and keeping it locked in.
what kind of milk is best to use?
2 % or whole. buttermilk can be used instead of milk and sour cream, the measurement would be 2/3 cup buttermilk. like I mentioned above, chocolate is a drying ingredient so it absolutely has to be paired with sour cream (or even greek or plain yogurt) if using 2% or whole milk
- confectioners sugar
- cocoa powder
- canola or vegetable oil
- granulated sugar
- brown sugar
- heavy cream
- vanilla extract
- sour cream
- baking soda
*link to my amazon storefront to purchase equipment*
- cupcake tin
- cupcake cups
- mixing bowls
Chocolate Crumb Muffins
- 1/4 cup butter softened
- 1/4 cup (60g) sugar
- 1/2 cup (60g)confectioners’ sugar
- 1/3 cup (50g) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (30g) unsweetened natural cocoa powder
Double Chocolate Muffins:
- ½ cup canola oil or vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup (120g) granulated sugar
- ½ cup (90g) brown sugar
- ¼ cup milk
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup sour cream
- 1 3/4 cup (260g) all-purpose flour
- ½ cup (60g) cocoa powder
- 1 ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 F and grease and line 18 muffin cups with cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl whisk together oil and both sugars. Stir in eggs and vanilla until well-combined.
- In a small bowl, whisk together sour cream and milk. Gently fold into the egg-sugar mixture until just combined.
- Whisk flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium mixing bowl and then fold into wet ingredients to incorporate. Add in chocolate chips to enhance that chocolate flavor.
- In a small-medium bowl, whisk together confectioners sugar, sugar, flour, and cocoa powder. Using a fork, smash the softened butter into the dry mixture until pea size crumbles form. Set aside.
- Scoop chocolate muffin batter into prepared muffin tin, filling them up to about ⅔ of the way. Top with cocoa crumbles.
- Bake on 375 F for 14-17 minutes. To ensure a moist muffin, be sure not to use the toothpick test but slightly undercook them.