It’s almost fall! Here in South Carolina, the leaves are changing but it’s still 90 degrees every day. However, it’s really shady in my backyard, we have tons of trees and a beautiful breeze so it feels like fall to me! Therefore, I present the first recipe of Fall 2022, these Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins!
Taste: Subtle pumpkin and cinnamon sugar flavor with a swirl of soft cream cheese.
Texture: Moist and fluffy pumpkin muffins with a soft cream cheese swirl throughout and a crumbly streusel topping.
Pros: They’re easy, and from start to finish they take less than an hour to make.
Cons: You have to dirty at least 3 bowls.
IF YOU LIKE THESE PUMPKIN CREAM CHEESE MUFFINS, TRY:
- sour cream
- pumpkin puree
- granulated sugar
- brown sugar
- vanilla extract
- baking soda
- baking powder
- pumpkin pie spice
- cinnamon sugar
- cream cheese
click here to purchase the equipment listed below
- mixing bowls
- muffin tin
How do I store these muffins?
Keep them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. If you opt to not add the streusel topping, they will last longer (4-6 days)
If freezing, I recommend skipping the streusel… it will make a mes when thawing. As far as eating the muffins after being frozen, I would leave them out at room temperature until soft.
Can this recipe be gluten-free/vegan or can any of the ingredients be substituted for other dietary restrictions?
Unfortunately, it is not my specialty. However, there are many bloggers who specialize in gluten-free, vegan, nut-free, dairy-free, etc. desserts and I recommend giving them a try!
Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins
- ½ cup butter melted
- 1 tbsp sour cream
- 1 can pumpkin puree
- 2 tbsp milk
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups 225g flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp cinnamon sugar
Cream Cheese Swirl
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1 egg yolk
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup brown sugar
- ½ flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 4 tbsp butter melted
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Prepare a muffin tin with liners in each cup.
- In a medium microwave-safe bowl, melt 4 tablespoons of butter. Using a fork, mash together the melted butter, ⅔ cup brown sugar, ½ cup flour, and 1 tsp cinnamon until combined and crumbly. Set aside.
Cream Cheese Swirl:
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese and egg yolk together until smooth. Add in the powdered sugar and vanilla extract, mix until combined. Set aside.
- In a medium microwave-safe mixing bowl, melt the ½ cup of butter. Pour the granulated sugar and brown sugar into the bowl with the melted butter and combine.
- Stir in the 2 eggs, vanilla extract, and sour cream.
- Add the 1 ½ cups of flour, baking soda, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, and cinnamon sugar. Mix all until just combined. Stir in 2 tablespoons of milk.
- Fill each muffin liner ⅔ of the way with the muffin batter. Add a tablespoon dollop or so of the cream cheese mixture. Using a toothpick, swirl the cream cheese mixture until it’s marbled throughout. Make sure to not over-mix.
- Top with a teaspoon or so of streusel… or more if you would like! Then bake on 350 F for 25 minutes or until they’re not jiggly in the center and golden brown on top.